Monday, June 16, 2008

The Saturday Sampler Quilt--January Square

The Fig Leaf, one of our local quilt shops, has a Saturday quilt club called the Saturday Sampler. It costs $10 to join and the quilt you make has 9 larger squares. Each month you make one square from the provided pattern and fat quarter (plus any other fabrics you may desire) and bring it to the next meeting. The kicker is that if you finish your block and come to the club meeting, you get the next fat quarter free. If not...oops! you pay for your fat quarter! Keeps you quilting!
While the patterns are the same for everyone (I'd guess about 120 are doing the club) we had three color combinations to choose from. The first was the colors of the sample quilt, in rose and sage colors. The second was fabrics for Christmas. The third was called Tulip Nouveau after the fabric line from Northcott fabrics, and this is what I chose to work with. The focus fabric is a large tulip pattern fabric in reds, yellow, green, and black. I chose extra fabrics in those colors with a background in white-on-white.
I didn't join until later, but I got my January square done just in time for February. This is it:

I'm not absolutely loving this square. By the time I finish them all I am thinking I will replace this square with a different pattern. The rest of the squares are more "star" or "pinwheel" shape patterns.
Have a great day!

No comments: